Property Agency Relevance

Rosy Sullivan


If you operate an agency under the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 (the Act), you will have your business structured in one of three ways:

  1. a sole trader, or

2. a partnership, or

3. a company

Section 9 of the Act states that if you are structured and operating as a company, then that company entity must hold a corporation licence.  If you then choose to trade with a separate business name from the company name, that business name must be owned by the company, not by an individual. 

Make sure that when you are establishing your business, that you obtain good quality legal and accounting advice to ensure that you are structured in the best way for your business.